Thoughts in Rhyme
THOUGHTS SOUND GOOD, IF SOMETIMES
THEY'RE NICELY PUT IN OLD-FASHIONED RHYMES
By Rahomme de Linde
V. MIND AND SCIENCE
- LOGIC AND THOUGHT
- The mind is for play; its antics like toys.
The heart is for love: 'tis the fount of all joys.
- Locks can't break, nor probing seep
Into the secret thoughts that people keep.
- Thought is beyond touch or sight;
Its speed far more than that of light.
- We know lots of things, but never can find
What's going on in another's mind.
- Logic can expose stupidity;
Yet can't prove its own validity. *
- Trying to prove that logic is great
Is like giving oneself a certificate.
- Arguments are just for fun;
Truth isn't oft with the one who won. *
- Even if logic can atheism prove:
From head to heart God can move. *
- More wondrous than stars and electric trains
Are complex systems known as brains.
- New ideas flow from the human brain
When a break there is in the logic chain. *
- MEDICINE AND DOCTORS
- Cure for body's ailments is medicine
It's not redemption from moral sin.
- Aspirin relieves the pain, it's true,
Of good and of bad people too.
- For body's health from sickness, medication;
For the mind's peace and saneness, meditation.
- Which is stronger: matter or mind?
See effects of medicines, and you can find.
- Alternative medicine is a good deal more
Than what's found in ancient lore. *
- Love and caring also can
Alleviate the pain of an ailing man.
- Doctors, when they cure a man
Alter God's plan for that life span.
- A doctor treating with a medicine
Is like a mechanic repairing an engine.
- Doctors, when they save a life,
Are engage with God in a bitter strife.
- Medicines may even improve you health.
But the ultimate cure for birth is death.
- Phenomena in the world around
Are but energy changes that abound. *
- Force makes bodies move, is a wrong notion;
Force causes only change in motion. *
- Light reveals to us many a scene;
But light itself cannot be seen. *
- A perfect engine there never can be:
In physics they call this the SLT. *
- The universe is just one unit
'Cause of the weakest force acting in it. *
- Space-time and matter's mystery
Were born from broken symmetry. *
- If gloom and doom you wish to find
Get astrophysics into your mind. *
- With finite facts found from the earth
We still can talk of cosmic birth.
- When all the fields are unified,
There still will be things unverified. *
- Space and time, young Einstein found
Are each to the other for ever bound. *
- Science is not wheels and springs;
It's search for the how and why of things. *
- When and how the world began
Can but be guessed by the mind of Man.
- Curiosity may kill the cat,
But there's no science without that.
- To puzzles plaguing the human mind
Science tries coherent answers to find. *
- The sun and moon we all have seen;
Yet, to know them well, so few are keen.
- Science isn't just eating the cake;
It's how the cake we manage to make.
- The grandest notions of science's great
Have been revised: That's their fate. *
- Tomorrow's finding may throw away
A science's doctrine of today.
- We try in vain to all explain
Bad and good and joy and pain.
- To enjoy the fruits of science, they too try
Who know naught of science, or science decry. *
- SOME RESULTS OF SCIENCE
- The sun will be dark some distant day.
No life will be here, so they say.
- The atoms in what today is you,
Were elsewhere once, and will leave you too. *
- Green plants spring from light and mud;
And make our body's bright red blood.
- Computers do not new things make,
For pure logic cannot make mistake. *
- Coal and gas burn only when
There's around some oxygen. *
- The world looks the way it does
Because of the scale of each of us.
- The air we breath, this we can tell:
Has been through others as well.
- The ancients thought that it was so:
But Man wasn't put here in toto.
- The forms and names of any constellation
Are products of human imagination.
- All the energy of stars and sun
Come from the acts of nuclear fusion. *
- Technology becomes evil indeed
When it stirs up the basest human greed.
- Technology is an unwitting sin;
It has put us in the mess we're in.
- When first we had science's taste
No one knew of nuclear waste!
- Technology is not a blessing pure;
For many ailments it's both cause and cure.
- Industry moves things so fast
Life may become a thing of the past.
- When a great invention has been made,
It causes newer ones and jobs and trade.
- What once a luxury was indeed,
Soon becomes a thing of need. *
- Technology is much like sin;
Enjoyable, but it'll do you in.
- Machines do their jobs so well
Because they have no stories to tell.
- We should all great respect feel
tes beauty from words alone.
[ Back ] [ Top ] [ Next ]
Brautigan Virtual Library